Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Quote of the Day: Joss Wheedon on the Pale Friendless Virgin

"They're a diverse group, fairly well-adjusted socially, and I expect that a lot of them are even having sex. I really think the line between geeks and the rest of the world is blurring."
-Joss Wheedon, on the fans of Firefly and Serenity, from an article you can read here.

I'm a certified, card-carrying geek. I'm gradually redecorating my house into an homage to the two great geek pursuits: science fiction and comics. I'm thinking of replacing the froofy floral entryway curtains with window decals of the Coruscant skyline. Elie picked out the living room drapes and curtain rods based on a vague resemblance to Jaffa Staff Weapons. I'm trying to put LEDs into a Boggle timer. I don't think they make lines blurry enough to get my grandparents on my side of that.

The Firefly marathon is showing on the Sci Fi Channel today starting in an hour and a half. The tagline for the marathon: "Whoever said there's no honor among thieves never met these guys." Firefly is the show about what happens when you throw two soldiers from the losing side of a war, a mercinary, a geisha/courtesan, an average hawaiian-shirt wearing guy, a sunny young woman, a priest, and two federal fugitives (a doctor and his mentally unstable younger sister) together on a small boat--not even a ship--at "the corner of 'no' and 'where.'" What happens is great sci-fi, and great sci-fi means that you learn more about being human.

Serenity opens in movie theaters Friday. I will give you my spoiler-free impressions when I get back Friday night.

No comments: