Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Now If I Can Get Him To Chuck...

I think I've finally pinned down the species of the mystery creature I've spotted eating the fallen pears in the early evenings. He's a squat, nondescript brown rodent/mammal-type critter about the size of a large housecat. For a while, I suspected he was a badger, but it turns out we're too far east for that, plus he's clearly diurnal, which eliminates most predatory mammals his size. I can't be certain since I haven't gotten closer than a couple hundred feet, but he seems to match the physical and behavioral descriptions of a marmota monax, your basic woodchuck (aka groundhog). This should save me some time come February 2.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't he be after that log you got stuck on and not the pears you're trying to butter?

Anonymous said...

Heh, I have an entire family of woodchucks. Sounds like you're lacking some muskrats though. Have Emp Peng build a pond and I'll send over some housewarming gifts.

The Guillimot

Janet said...

Funny you should mention that, Guillimot. Emp. Peng. has floated the idea of putting a pond in back there. That, and a moat filled with ill-tempered sea bass, but I think he's serious about the pond.