Thursday, September 15, 2005

Marmota Watch

Just in from picking some more pears and apples, and the groundhog definitely has a preference in his fruit. The ground under the pear tree is picked clean except for one pear sitting upright with most of the top gone and some very rodentlike teeth marks. However, the apple trees still have plenty of fallen fruit under them, very little of which shows woodchuck bites. He may have no choice but to switch over or find a new feeding ground soon, though. I stripped all the fruit I could reach with my improvised 6' Fruit Picker (a gardening rake and plastic cup duct-taped to a mop handle). There are probably a dozen or so pears left high up that I'll let drop for him, but after that, the all-you-can-gnaw pear buffet is closed for the year.

In other marmota news, I'm taking suggestions on what to name the groundhog (please, not Chuck).

No comments: