Monday, January 26, 2004

The Letters Are Out...

My letters to the Democratic candidates will go out in the morning's mail. I gave each of them a brief introduction to myself, explained that I understood their basic positions, and asked them each a question based on information on their positions published on their websites. With John Edwards, this was not an easy undertaking, as he has the most difficult website to navigate that I have seen in quite a while; however, we are not electing a web designer, so that is neither here nor there.

The questions were:
Of Kerry and Dean: both have detailed stances of protecting women from domestic violence. I asked if they would extend that rhetoric to cover the male victims of domestic violence as well.
Of Clark: I asked how his tax plan would affect families with no children, as his website's family tax plan benefit calculator, where you can see how his tax proposal benefits you, does not allow for an option of zero children. I pointed out that, as of 1995 Census records, 51% of all families do not include children under 18.
Of Edwards: I asked which of his proposed programs and changes he really believes he could implement, given that he would most likely be working with a legislature that does not have a decisive majority of his party.

The most important question I asked of all the candidates was for them to explain to me why I should vote for them, rather than simply voting against Bush.

Stay posted for results, if any.

No comments: