Friday, January 23, 2004

A Word on the State of Health Care...

Having recently joined the ranks of the insured, health-wise, I am now searching for a primary care physician. I'm reasonably healthy, but a physician strikes me as one of those things one ought to arrange to have before one actually needs it, like a casket and snacks at the wake. My insurance has one of those Preferred Provider networks, and, in the absence of anyone who might give me much of a recommendation, I am largely basing my decision on the following criteria:
1. Doctor is on the list of network physicians provided by my health plan.
2. Doctor must be female. Nothing against men. That's just the way I am.
3. Doctor's office must be convenient.

I found what seemed to be the perfect office: two female family practitioners on the list of "currently accepting new patients" whose office I can literally see from my bedroom window, but who were not in the office next door that has the Lamborghini parked out front in the summer and the Hummer in the winter, which says something about that doctor's rates. This afternoon, I called up their office--after getting the answering service at 2 p.m. with a message that clearly states the office is open 9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.--since sometimes those preferred provider lists are a bit outdated. I was completely unprepared for the conversation with the receptionist.

Me: "Are the doctors still accepting new patients? I'm needing to choose a new doctor."
Receptionist: "That depends on your insurance."
Me: "Medical Mutual of Ohio"
Receptionist: "Then, yes."

I never quite realized what a gamble my year-plus (this time) on the "don't get sick" health plan really was. Also, I am still looking for a primary care physician.

No comments: